Here is your test day checklist.
What to think:
- Remember to take the test just like you were doing your homework and mock tests. You’ve done this many times before. This test is no different. You’ve got this.
- Nervous? Some nervousness is helpful. Nervousness stimulates a surge in testosterone; this surge makes people “think more analytically.” People given testosterone and then a mathematics test did 9% better on it than without the increased testosterone. So, some nervousness = surge in testosterone = higher scores. (“Top Dog: The Science of Winning and Losing”, p.178)
What to bring:
- Registration ticket
- Photo identification
- Five wooden #2 pencils (not automatic pencils) — a somewhat dull pencil is actually ideal for scantron bubbling, but you will want some sharp pencils so you can write the essay with less strain on your hand
- An eraser
- Food and water (here are some suggestions on food)
Optional to bring:
- A watch, particularly the ACT watch if you find it helpful
- Happiness and a sense of humor